Let’s face it you can’t read an article anywhere these days without someone mentioning social media, social networking, Twitter, YouTube, or Facebook. These tools not only affect the way we connect to each other as people but also how we share information and communicate.
Businesses of all size have now adopted the use of social media from large corporations and small businesses to solo-preneurs and freelancers. Much in the way desktop publishing and blogs put the power to spread information in the hands of the masses – social media has provided unprecedented ways for us to connect and network with one another. Check out this eye-opening video I found on YouTube that shares some amazing stats about the social media revolution.
One of the common myths we often dispel with virtual teamwork is that using technology makes relationships less personal and you can’t build trust or get to know people who you rarely or never see. I don’t agree – using these tools like Twitter and Facebook allows you to connect (or re-connect) with people, stay in touch, and get to know each other. Read more
About once a month follow the links below and submit the URLs for your Websites. Manually submitting your site to the major search engines will cause your site to be re-indexed so that new text and information will be recognized and cataloged. Although most major search engines have ‘robots’ or ‘spiders’ that roam the web cataloging sites, the frequency with which they visit your site is based on many factors: how established it is, how often it is updated, how many pertinent incoming links you have, etc…
It is significant to note that there are many search utilities on the web that are ‘powered’ by one of the major search engines, and are therefore essentially extensions of those engines. This means if you are registered with the main engine, you will likely also be included in the additional directories it is powering.
To learn more than you ever wanted to know about Search Engine Optimization and Search Marketing consult Search Engine Marketing 101 by the good people at Search Engine Watch.
The 7 best FREE Places to Submit your Website for Increased Traffic
1. Google (also powers AOL Search & Netscape Search) – The King of Search Engines, the 600 Lbs. Gorilla, Google has the largest market share of U.S. based web searches at 67% of all searches as of April 2008. Google’s stated mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful. Google is now widely recognized as the world’s largest search engine — an easy-to-use free service that usually returns relevant results in a fraction of a second.
Free Submit: http://www.google.com/addurl/
2. Yahoo! Search (also powers AltaVista & Alltheweb) – The #2 seed with a market share of 20%. The stated goal of Yahoo! Search is to discover and index all of the content available on the web to provide the best possible search experience to users. The Yahoo! Search index, which contains several billion web pages, is more than 99% populated through the free crawl process.
Free Submit: http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/submit
This episode is a change of pace; rather than a segment from last week’s radio show, this is lesson one of a 6 part eClass that we offer on internet marketing through our smallbizemarketing.com site. We discuss some fundamentals of successful eMarketing. In a few weeks we will be dedicating a number of full radio shows to how small businesses, entrepreneurs, and solo professionals can utilize the concept of The Anywhere Office. Some of the strategies and technologies introduced in this podcast will be examined in detail during those shows.
Visit www.TheAnywhereOffice.com and sign up for updates to learn more about this special series. While you are there be sure to visit our blog and post comments and feedback as well.
TAO Podcast Theme Music – Begin by Andy Simon
eClass Music Bed – Walking Along Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
This episode contains the opening segment from last week’s radio show. We discuss the rise of multimedia and the various ways businesses can use audio and video as a marketing tool, for after sales support, and to create information products for sale.
Visit www.TheAnywhereOffice.com and click archives to listen to the complete show. While you are there be sure to visit our blog and post comments and feedback as well.
TAO Podcast Theme Music – Begin by Andy Simon
This week we took a look at different ways multimedia can be used for entertainment and for marketing your business. Thanks to Israel Hyman for joining us as our guests on the show.
If you missed the show you can listen in below or download the MP3 file.
Show # 5: Beyond Text – The rise of multimedia on the web
With more people accessing the internet on a hi-speed connection websites featuring audio, video, and other multimedia content have begun to gain popularity. Phil & Jason discuss some of the uses and applications for multimedia. They will be joined by guest Israel Hyman, founder of the Glimpster Video Podcast Network and creator of the popular Izzy Video Podcast.
Here’s what we covered:
- The Rise and Uses of Multimedia: We looked at how multimedia on the web has developed over time and its different uses.
- Product/Service Spotlight: Audio Generator and Instant Video Generator are easy affordable ways to put audio and video on your site. Visit our DIY page for more information about these services and other internet marketing tools we recommend for small businesses.
- Tech Talk: More people are watching home made video online. Here are some sites where you can check out this latest video explosion and post your own videos.
- Our Guest: Israel Hyman, Founder of the Glimpster Video Podcast Network and Host of the very popular Izzy Video podcast.
- Other Resources (including some of our favorite online entertainment sites):
- The Internet Archive – Over 39,000 movies, 37,000 live concerts, and 90,000 audio recordings all for your listening and viewing pleasure – FREE!
- Ask a Ninja – You got questions, Ninja got answers! Trust me these are like potato chips – you can’t watch just one.
- Homestar Runner – Our favorite is Strong Bad’s Email
- What is a podcast you ask? We mentioned Podcasts a lot on this show. This page offers a brief, clear description.
To listen to the show you can use the flash player below or download the MP3 file. Use the PLAY IN POPUP link below if you want to use our flash player and roam the web while listening.