Show #10: Search and Research – How to search the web effectively
September 13, 2006 by Phil Montero
This week we explain some key strategies and tips for how to search the web like a pro. Learn to save time daily with our super search tips. Thanks to Richard Robinson of Legacy Scribe for joining us as our guest on the show.
If you missed the show you can listen in below or download the MP3 file.
Show # 10: Search and Research – How to search the web effectively
The internet is arguably the single largest repository of knowledge and information in the world. Knowing how to search through this data and find what you’re looking for is critical to reaping the benefits of this incredible resource. We are joined by Richard Robinson, an award-winning family history writer, co-author of two books, and the information officer for the international Association of Professional Genealogists. Learn how to avoid becoming road-kill on the information super-highway.
Here’s what we covered:
- Why people search: We look at all the different things people search for everyday both personally and professionaly. We spend more time searching than we think . . . we’ll show you how to save at least an hour a day!
- Where to search: We explore the various types of search engines and list some of our favorites for more niche based or narrow searches.
- The Big Boys: Google, Yahoo, and MSN (with their newly launched LIVE search).
- Meta Search Engines (search more than one engine at a time): Metacrawler and Momma
- Specialized Search Engines:
- How to search: We discuss various tips and strategies for conducting effective searches and finding what you need quicker:
- Is it best to start with a wide or narrow search?
- Boolean search tips – using operators like AND, OR, NOT, +, -, and quotes to fine tune your searches.
- Using Google niche searches to find specific items including Images, Videos, Froogle, News, Discussion Groups, and Maps
- Google Alerts – Setup robots to automatically search important terms for you on the web and in the news and have Google email them directly to your inbox . . . What a time saver!
- Guest: Richard Robinson, president of Legacy Scribe, an award-winning family history writer, co-author of two books, and the information officer for the international Association of Professional Genealogists.
To listen to the show you can use the flash player below or download the MP3 file. Use the PLAY IN POPUP link below if you want to use our flash player and roam the web while listening.